Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Crocheted felted bear

Here is a crocheted bear I made.
The pattern is essentially the same as Hipster Bunny.  This 100% wool (Patons Brand). After I sewed him together, but before I stuffed him, I felted him. 

To felt a knitted or crocheted item made from wool, you simply put the item in a pillow case (tie it shut with a hair elastic) and wash it for 5-10 minutes in hot water with just a tiny bit of laundry detergent.  I also throw a couple pairs of jeans into the load, just so there is a little more friction.
This little guy didn't felt as nicely as I was hoping.  As you can see, the stitches are still clearly visible.  If the felting had worked properly they wouldn't be.  It did at least tighten the stitches up, and I think he turned out pretty good.  Although if you look carefully you will see that one of his arms is higher than the other, oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment